Monday, November 21, 2011

Heated Grips


!±8± Heated Grips

I had a set of Harley Davidson grips that I had installed when I got Electra-Glide Ultra 2 years ago (in fact, today is the 2 year anniversary of when I picked my bike up!). As much as I love my HD, I can't say the same for the HD heated grips. I've had them replaced about three times in the past two years for intermittent operation. When it happened again this year, the dealer balked. I can't blame them sine HD Corporate won't reimburse them for my grips anymore. Remember, they operate intermittently, and when sent back to HD, of course they worked!

So this year I replaced my heated grips with some from Kuryakyn. They are different form the HD heated grips in that the heating element is an integral part of the HD grips. The Kuryakyn replacement is actually a separate set of grips and heating elements. In other word, you buy the grips separate from the grip heaters.

The heater is unique in that the heating element or coil is attached to an aluminum partial cylinder that's designed to be inserted into the handlebar itself. Think of a cylinder with a slot cut down the long axis. You simply compress the cylinder and slide it into the handlebar. Friction then holds the heater in place against the inside of the handlebars.

The LED controller replaces the front clamp on the clutch lever/mirror attachment. When ordering the unit, make sure you order the one that matches your current black or chrome controls.

The installation does require drilling a hole in the underside of the handlebar. This can be difficult and tricky. If you don't feel good about this, take it to the dealer and pay for the install.

Be aware that you can pinch the wires from the controller to the heaters when tightening the mounting clamp to the required torque. If that happens repeatedly, it's probably the wires being crushed against the handlebars and shorting out. You can fix this by placing some black electricians tape on the handlebar just underneath the controller.

They operate very well and do a great job of heating. The only caveat is to be careful about which grips you purchase. I brought the Kuryakyn ISO9000 grips which use a LOT of some sort of rubber material for vibrations isolation. Unfortunately, this material doesn't transfer heat very well or fast so I'm not getting the full effect of the heaters. Bu the grips are darn comfortable and I love the built in throttle boss.

All things considered, these Kuryakyn grip heaters are a great replacement. It does take some skill and patience to install and the drilling is laborious. And be careful what grips you use with them!


Heated Grips

Outdoor Rubbermaid Storage Best




No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Fran�ais Deutsch Italiano Portugu�s
Espa�ol ??? ??? ?????







Sponsor Links